The Power of Family Voice: The Young Child Wellness Council
This video was crafted through a partnership between Colorado Project LAUNCH and the Early Childhood Colorado Partnership.
Organizations serving children and families are increasingly focusing on family engagement as a strategy to improve services, enhance consumer and provider satisfaction, and reduce costs. This video highlights the voices of two family members of the Project LAUNCH Young Child Wellness Council. The Council exists to bring families and public and private partners together to improve policies, programs, and approaches so that all children enter school with the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical skills they need to succeed. As this five-year grant comes to a close, family members are eager to share their experiences with those interested in systems level initiatives.
Director of the Young Child Wellness Council, shared her recommendations for professionals and family leaders seeking to increase authentic engagement:
1) Personal experiences are what drove both Ray and Princess to their initial involvement. Bringing these experiences to the table is integral for success.
2) Joining councils and boards can be uncomfortable initially for a family partner. Connecting w/other professionals and feeling supported and heard allowed them to feel valued and kept both of them committed to the work.
3) Professional partners need to hear the voice of fathers.
4) It’s okay to start small. Begin w/volunteering in your child’s classroom, take advantage of other opportunities as they open up.
5) Be willing to take risks because your voice matters! Join a committee, attend conferences, and apply for boards.
6) This is a chance to revolutionize the way services are delivered!