In this toolkit, you’ll find:
- How to Participate
- Sample Social Media Posts
- Flyer (NEW!), Graphics, and Expanded Photo Gallery
- Sample Email and Other Language to promote the fun and friendly photo activity called #SafeSleepSnap.
- How to Handle Unsafe Sleep Images and
- Before-You-Post Checklist (NEW!) and our favorite element new this year – Weekly themes!
Each week in October 2020, the national Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month campaign, encourages a focused message on one action to help reduce the risk of SIDS and promote safe sleep. Coloradans are encouraged to participate in each weekly theme to help spread the word about key safe infant sleep practices.
Week 1 (October 4–10)
Always place baby on his or her back to sleep to reduce the risk of SIDS.
Week 2 (October 11–17)
Use a firm and flat mattress in a safety-approved crib,* free of soft and loose bedding, such as bumpers, stuffed animals and blankets.
*A crib, bassinet, portable crib, or play yard that follows the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is recommended. For information on crib safety, visit https://www.cpsc.gov or contact CPSC at 1-800-638-2772.
Week 3 (October 18–24)
Share your room with baby. Keep baby close to your bed but on a separate surface, for example, in their own crib or bassinet.
Week 4 (October 25–31)
Breastfeed to reduce the risk of SIDS.